27 May 2009

X12 != EDI

I had a brief discussion with a friend about this, and I think I need expound on the subject a little. In the world of Development, if you say "EDI" people automatically assume (in America) ANSI X12. Some of the more enlightened also consider EDIFACT (for our European counterparts) and HL7 (healthcare). I'm here to explain that none of these are, in fact, EDI. Yes, you read that correctly. ANSI X12, EDIFACT, HL7, and Joe-Bob's Custom Layout all share one thing in common: they are file specifications. EDI goes far beyond file specification and, in the original sense of the term (first widely used by Financial institutions, IIRC), doesn't really care about format at all. EDI is, litteraly, "Electronic Data Interchange." EDI is much more concerned with parties and transport than it is with specific layout. Indeed, my trading partners and I can choose any layout we wish - including making up our own - and we'll still be doing EDI. As long as I'm sending and receiving electronic data (in the old, CS101 sense of "raw facts given to the computer") with one or more external parties, I'm doing EDI. Now, why is this important? I don't guess it is really. On the other hand, I believe it will become increasingly important, with the myriad of file specifications in addition to transport specifications, for the demarcation to be clear. AS/1, 2 & 3 are EDI. ANSI X12 is not. FTP over SSL or SSH is EDI. EDIFACT is not. HTTPS is EDI. HL7 is not. This demarcation becomes important because there is so much to know about each world. I'm one of those who still gets FTP/SSL and FTP/SSH confused. I certainly couldn't tell you the difference between AS1 and AS2. On the other hand, I can explain in detail why I prefer XML or Looped files (Such as the X12 standard) over Fixed-Width or delimited (Comma, Tab, or otherwise) flat files. I can explain why, if I must have a flat file, I prefer delimiters to fixed-width. I do not prettend that those who can explain the difference between AS1 & AS2 are not EDI professionals. I recommend that you not do so either.

No comments:

Post a Comment