05 April 2010

WCF WTF

So, I have a WCF Service I created to handle PGP encryption/decryption using the BouncyCastle .dll. We wanted just the one, internal, service so that everyone who needs to be able to decrypt data can without having to ask the developers all the time. This service receives and passes streams of data. Unfortunately, I did not realize that this doesn't actually work real well in WCF. Unless I can find a way around it, WCF changes my nice FileStream or even just a base Stream and hides it in a System.ComponentModel.Dispatcher.StreamFormatter (from memory, so that namespace may be a little off). Which is not seekable. My service requires a seekable stream. I'm sure you see the problem. I didn't discover this little gem until about time to go home today. So, tomorrow I'll write a nice little wrapper around the stream that gets passed into the service so I can treat it as a normal stream. I'll post the code here when that's done, so I'll have it someplace relatively safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment